If you’re in the foodservice industry, you know how important it is to have a clean and efficient kitchen. One of the most important aspects of a commercial kitchen is the flooring. It needs to be durable, easy to clean, slip-resistant, and able to withstand high foot traffic. That’s where commercial kitchen quarry tile comes in. In this ultimate guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about this type of flooring, including its advantages, disadvantages, installation process, and maintenance tips.
What is Commercial Kitchen Quarry Tile?
Quarry tile is a type of unglazed ceramic tile that is made from natural clay and shale. The clay is fired at a high temperature, which makes the tile extremely dense and durable. The tile gets its name from the fact that it was originally made from materials found in quarries.
Commercial kitchen quarry tile is specifically designed for use in foodservice environments. It is typically 6 inches by 6 inches and is available in a range of colors, including red, brown, and gray. One of the main advantages of quarry tile is that it is slip-resistant, even when wet. This is important in a commercial kitchen, where spills are common and safety is a top priority.
Advantages of Commercial Kitchen Quarry Tile
There are several advantages to using commercial kitchen quarry tile:
- Slip-resistant: Quarry tile is slip-resistant, which makes it a safe flooring option for commercial kitchens.
- Durable: Quarry tile is extremely durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic, spills, and impacts.
- Easy to clean: Quarry tile is easy to clean and maintain. It can be swept, mopped, or scrubbed with a mild detergent.
- Affordable: Quarry tile is an affordable flooring option, which makes it a popular choice for commercial kitchens.
- Resistant to stains: Quarry tile is resistant to stains, which is important in a commercial kitchen where spills are common.
Disadvantages of Commercial Kitchen Quarry Tile
While there are many advantages to using commercial kitchen quarry tile, there are also some disadvantages:
- Hardness: Quarry tile is extremely hard, which can make it uncomfortable to stand on for long periods of time.
- Unsealed: Quarry tile is unsealed, which means that it can absorb liquids and stains if not properly maintained.
- Installation: Quarry tile installation is a specialized process that requires a skilled professional.
- Cold: Quarry tile can be cold, which can be uncomfortable in a kitchen environment.
The installation process for commercial kitchen quarry tile is a specialized process that requires a skilled professional. The process involves the following steps:
- Preparation: The existing flooring is removed and the subfloor is cleaned and leveled.
- Layout: The installer lays out the tile to determine the best configuration for the space.
- Mortar: Mortar is applied to the subfloor and the tiles are laid in place.
- Grouting: Once the tiles are in place, grout is applied to fill the gaps between the tiles.
- Curing: The tile is allowed to cure for a period of time before it can be used.
To keep your commercial kitchen quarry tile looking its best, it’s important to follow these maintenance tips:
- Sweep or vacuum the floor daily to remove dirt and debris.
- Mop the floor regularly with a mild detergent to remove stains and spills.
- Seal the tile periodically to prevent liquid and stain absorption.
- Use slip-resistant mats in areas that are prone to spills.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that can scratch the tile.
People Also Ask
What is quarry tile used for?
Quarry tile is used in a variety of settings, including commercial kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor spaces. It is a durable and slip-resistant flooring option that is able to withstand heavy foot traffic and spills.
How do you clean quarry tile?
To clean quarry tile, sweep or vacuum the floor daily to remove dirt and debris. Mop the floor regularly with a mild detergent to remove stains and spills. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that can scratch the tile.
How long does quarry tile last?
Quarry tile is a durable flooring option that can last for many years with proper maintenance. Its lifespan can vary depending on the amount of foot traffic, spills, and impacts it experiences.
How much does it cost to install quarry tile?
The cost of installing quarry tile can vary depending on the size of the space, the type of tile, and the complexity of the installation. On average, the cost can range from $5 to $15 per square foot.
Commercial kitchen quarry tile is a durable, slip-resistant, and affordable flooring option for foodservice environments. While it has some disadvantages, its advantages far outweigh them. With proper installation and maintenance, quarry tile can last for many years and provide a safe and easy-to-clean surface for your kitchen staff.